Sunday, June 19, 2011

Proverbs 22:6

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is older he will not turn away from it." -Proverbs 22:6

This is one of my very favorite verses in the Bible. This is also what the message was about today at church, in honor of Father's Day. It is so true... God can do the job all on His own of course, but he chooses to use parents. It is our job as parents to raise our children to know Him. Corey and I believe raising our children in church is one of the most important aspects of parenting, but it doesn't stop there... We have to live our life in God's word everyday. We are Christian's role models and it's so important for us to set a good example for him. The message also talked about how children always look up to their father.. The father is the foundation of the home and should live his life in a way that provides a great example for his kids. Our preacher said something REALLY great today that I will always remember... He said, "I don't care if my boys are straight A students, if they are the best athlete, or if they are college graduates... but I do hope they have their family in church every Sunday worshiping the Lord and raise their children to KNOW God." Wow.. that hit home! Sometimes we get so wrapped up in wanting our children to be the best... We are all guilty, it's natural.. but does any of that matter on judgement day?? No. God doesn't care who the quarterback of the football team is or who the student council president is... He cares about one thing... Do you KNOW Him. That one comment has made me re-evaluate my views on raising Christian. Sure, I want him to be involved in anything and everything he is possibly interested in, and I also have high academic expectations for him, but my number one priority is to raise him right and raise him to know and love the Lord. So, at the end of the service today, the preacher called all the dads up to the alter. As Corey knelt down while the preacher prayed over them, tears ran down my face. It was so emotional for me... Do we, as parents, take raising our children for granted?? I just pray every night that God helps us through this journey of being parents and that we can use every situation, good or bad, as "teachable moments." I know Christian will have a good heart because it will be instilled in him... and for that, I can say I am very proud of us! :) Hope everyone had a great Father's Day!!! 

Until next time... Hope you have a blessed night!
Kristen

2 comments:

  1. Ohh this made me cry so much! I am sooo very thankful I have a daughter that loves God the way she does and is going to make sure my grandson is raised in a good Christian home! I just smiled when I was reading it.. and thinking.. Thank you God for letting me do my best at raising my daughter..:) I love you soo much and couldn't be more proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to continue to do such an amazing job at being a mom! Your son is very blessed! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete