Monday, June 13, 2011

The Kitchen is the Heart of the Home...

A lot of people don't know this about me but I LOVE to cook!! It might be one of my absolute favorite things to do. I'm excited I have time to try out some new recipes while I'm on summer break. I thought this would be a great way to share with you the ones that are really good! I know I love when I get a good recipe, so why not share it with everyone! :) I hope you enjoy!! 

Tonight's menu:
Marinated Grilled Shrimp
Coleslaw
Hushpuppies (I just cheated and bought the frozen kind, so no recipe for this one!)
& Strawberry Shortcake (yummm...)

Marinating the Shrimp
Thanks to the hubs for doing the grilling!
First time to make my own coleslaw
Strawberry Shortcake... Our favorite summer desert!


Here are the recipes.....*

Marinated Grilled Shrimp:

Ingredients:
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • skewers 
In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, and red wine vinegar. Season with basil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add shrimp to the bowl and stir until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for an hour stirring once or twice. Place shrimp on skewers, piercing once towards the tail and once near the head. Cook shrimp on grill for about 7 minutes on each side or until opaque. (My husband put foil down on the grill and cooked them on low.)

Coleslaw:

Ingredients:
  • One bag of pre-chopped coleslaw mix
  • 1 cup of Miracle Whip Light (I use light to cut calories but you can use either!)
  • Milk (no more than 1/4 cup)
  • 2 tbsp Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tbsp Sugar
Put Miracle Whip, vinegar, and sugar  into large bowl and stir with a wire whisk. Add milk until the consistency is creamy like a salad dressing. Add in your coleslaw mix, stir, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to absorb the flavor. 


Strawberry Shortcake:

Ingredients:

  • Package of strawberries
  • 1/2 cup of Sugar
  • Package of Shortcake 
Cut up your strawberries and mash them however juicy you would like. Add in your sugar and stir together.. Pour on top of your shortcake! (I'm sure most of you know how to make this, but thought I would add it in case!! It sure is good!!)

I hope you enjoy these recipes... I'll be posting more as I make something that tastes really good!! :) Leave me a comment if you try this and let me know how you like it!


Until next time... Have a blessed day!!
Kristen




No comments:

Post a Comment