Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Back to Work

Originally, I had planned on going back to work after Christmas break but a few weeks ago I decided that I would go ahead and go back for semester tests since it's only two days and then a long break.  I figured it would give me time to get some things done in my room and have things ready for the new semester.  Never in a million years would I have thought I would be going back after such a tragic event that happened the Friday before.  I honestly can't even wrap my head around what happened.... I just don't understand how anyone could take a life of another and several babies at that??  To me they are babies... my 6th graders are still babies... In fact, it doesn't matter if you are in college or married, you will always be someone's baby and that is what I try to think of when I teach these kids every day.  Sure, they might be ornery at times... it's middle school... but that ornery little kid is someone's baby.  When I send my babies off to school one day I want them to feel safe, loved, and respected so that is exactly what I want to provide for my kiddos.  It's sad that we live in a world where we have to wonder if our kids are safe in school or if I'm safe in my classroom while I'm at work.  There are two things that I completely disagree with that people get on soap boxes about when things like this happen - I get really annoyed with the people that say "guns kill people."  People kill people.... CRAZY, psychotic, LOST people kill people.  It has nothing to do with the gun... let's be honest.  If you are that insane, you will find a way and a gun.... it doesn't have to be sold to you.  In fact, you better believe I am getting my concealed weapons permit the first of the year.  I have two babies at home and I will know how to protect us if need be.  The second thing - everyone that keeps saying this happened because God is taken out of schools.  I for one wish more than anything we could have prayer in schools but there is no one taking God out of my work place.  Just because I can't legally pray out loud with my classes does not mean he is taken out.... God is with me every second I am in that school.  God doesn't stop looking after us when we enter the school... He is present with us at all times.  The only people taking God out of anything are the ones that shut him out of their life completely.  I am completely confident in knowing my God is more powerful than the government or any law.  

So, that is my two sense on that.  I pray that the victims families find peace in God and can get through these awful times.  I hate that this also happened right before Christmas.  May God be with each and every one of them.  I find peace in knowing they are in a MUCH greater place than any of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment